But, you know, I’m not on vacation, so I don’t have time (just kidding, I’m totally on vacation, I just don’t want people to know because last year I got smothered in “I know you’re on vacation but” emails, and I’m trying to avoid the same this year… so if anyone asks you, I’m hard at work! You haven’t seen me!). Plus, I’ve already seen these shows. But I kind of wish I hadn’t, because I’d love to watch them again for the first time!
1. Dead Like Me, starring Ellen Muth and a whole bunch of people who are going to look familiar, including Mandy Patinkin. Available on Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. And on DVD in my living room. An unfulfilled college dropout with no prospects gets killed one day while walking home (how she gets killed becomes a running gag in the show, so I’m not going to tell you how if you haven’t seen it). She’s recruited as a Grim Reaper; she has to show dying souls how to get in to heaven, whether they want to be dying or not, before she can cross over herself. Hilarity ensues.
2. Jeremiah, starring Luke Perry, Malcolm-Jamal Warner, and my favorite, Sean Astin. Available on Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. Set about ten years after a virus has wiped out everyone over about the age of 12, a group of survivors band together to make sense of (and survive in) the new world. Hilarity ensues. OK, not really that much hilarity. I liked it in spite of Luke Perry… mostly because of Sean Astin, who steals every scene he’s in. Together our survivors try to find a mysterious place the main character’s father, a scientist, had mentioned. Will they find answers and rebuild the world? Or will power-hungry young adults, raised in a world without adults and rules, tear down the last of society?
3. Orphan Black, the only one in my list that’s still running, starring Tatiana Maslany, Tatiana Maslany, Tatiana Maslany, Tatiana Maslany, Jordan Gavaris, and Tatiana Maslany. Available on Amazon Prime. A con artist desperate to get her child back takes over the life of a woman she, by chance, sees at a train station. A woman who looks exactly like her, who commits suicide right in front of her. The life Sarah takes over is not what she expects… especially when she meets a third woman who looks exactly like her. I can not say enough about how fantastic this show is.
4. Profit, starring Adrian Pasdar who you may have seen recently in Marvels Agents of SHIELD, but whom I will always love for Near Dark. Available on Amazon (as a DVD set for sale). Good luck finding this one (unless you know my friend Jeff, who is the one who loaned the DVD series to me, and he might loan it to you, too). A man who works at a multinational company will get ahead by any means necessary; extortion, bribery, murder. Is he a man with no morals, clawing his way to the top? Or does his ruthlessness protect a broken child within, one who is seeking revenge for a lifetime of childhood abuse? Or, is he simply mad?
5. Twin Peaks, starring everyone. Available on Amazon Prime (for sale, not free with Prime), Hulu Plus, and Netflix. And on DVD in my living room. Pull up to your couch with a damn fine cup of coffee and a slice of the best apple pie as you sink into the mysteries being revealed in a town where no-one, including the owls, are what they seem.
Have you seen these? What other shows that only ran for a season or two would you recommend to binge watch?