Read on if you like to think about yarn!
MY OVERTHINKING: LET ME SHOW YOU IT.
I have a whirlwind of ideas and only a few days in which to choose from them – the reason being that Ravelry advertising for November goes up for sale next week and I need to start planning my advertising then.
You know what? It’s not even a whirlwind, it’s a cacophony. I have a bunch of ideas for the next few rounds of sock club, and need to narrow it the fuck down.
A sock club based on my Literary Soap Sets.
– I briefly looked at all three sets and within about five minutes had three ideas for each club based on names of fragrances from the soap.
– Corresponding swag would not actually be soap — in looking at the fragrance names and thinking about colorways I also got ideas for swag.
– Since I do three sock clubs a year, with three yarns each, this would be a years worth of ideas if I went with that. All of 2013? Or intersperse it with my other ideas?
A sock club based on some of my fragrances that I think might make good colorways.
– I’ve already been doing this a little on the off-club months, with limited runs; this club would be a bigger plan with that same idea.
– Again, I have at least nine ideas, so this could conceivably also fill a calender year. Or if I combined/switched with literary sets, two years for them both.
A “duet/couples” sock club in which they are all multi-colored yarns with an extra solid mini-skein for heels/toes.
– I would keep the multi-color skeins full-size, rather than wind off 100 of a 400 yard skein, so I would have to raise the price on this one by about one full skein of yarn.
– My colorway ideas are of fictional couples (not necessarily romantic couples, but two characters of which I love the interplay of) — Harold and Maude; Rosencrantz and Guildenstern; Tim Bayless and Frank Pembleton (for examples) (I bet nobody gets that last one).
– I don’t have a years worth of these ideas. I could get this into one club.
Discontinuing sock club altogether and using the above ideas for monthly limited runs of colors with or without corresponding swag.
– I could do this one of two ways:
— as I do now with the three-times-a-year limited colorways: surprise, here’s the color! I made ten of them! Have at it!
— as a pre-order, with hints given in advance so that the buyer would have a rough idea of what’s coming, but not exactly how it’s going to look.
— as some sort of combination of those two.
So. Thinking. Ruminating. Spending faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too much time in my own head. And needing to make a decision so that instead of advertising on Ravelry “sock club” I can advertise specifically for that round (IE, “what do rabbits, sock yarn, and epic storylines all have in common? Click to find out!” or something along those lines.
Yarn-lovers feedback welcome, even if you’ve never been in or don’t plan on being in my club!