I have Startitis Anxiety. First, I wanted to knit something as a sample in a new yarn that I’m bringing into HaldeCraft soon (a 70/30 Alpaca/Silk, holy crap). It comes in a 600 yard skein so I’ve been looking on Ravelry for ~600 yard cape/poncho things.
Then Aunt Gay and Uncle Joe invited me to to to the International Conference on the Fantastic (a convention so geeky it makes even the geekiest of science fiction cons I’ve been to look straight-up) and many of my favorite authors are going to be there. There’s also a banquet, and a lunch.
I was thinking that I might want to knit some sort of wrap/cardigan/open-drapey thing that would be relaxed enough to wear during the day but nice enough to also wear to the lunch and/or dinner, over top of whatever other nice thing I wear.
Then I started thinking maybe I could combine wanting to knit with this new yarn with wanting to knit something to wear to this con, and now my brain is trapped in a pattern search spiral wherein the last line of the code is “BEGIN AGAIN”.
It turns out ~600 yards is not really enough to knit something that’s going to fit me. So I can dye another skein, and make a ~1200 yard something; or I can combine some other yarn, a brown yarn of a similar blend/same weight, that I just so happen to have close to 600 yards in. So I could do a stripey or intarsia something.
- If I wanted to do two colors, I could go with this (green for the lace, brown for the solid), or this (green for most of it, brown for the lace and edging), or this (changing colors every few rows), or this (in stripes, which would probably look really horrid, so never mind), or this (one color for the lace, one color for the solid and cables).
- I could even do the poncho one with just the green.
- Or I could do any number of shawls in just the green. If I liked to wear shawls.
- Or I could add in a third yarn, and do this, because I do like the style of it… but not how it looks like a bulls-eye.
- Or I could take a shawl pattern I like, and double the numbers, knit it in the round, and make a poncho.
- Or, if I wanted to not combine my ideas, I could do some math and use a yarn I just dyed in Cranberry red to make this… but that might be too warm.
Or, or… or……
::blam:: <– my head exploding from looking at so many knitting patterns on Ravelry, and wanting to make them all, and only having two hands.